day 22, to the one you give a second chance

~ ~
Day 22. Someone you want to give a second chance to

Indiana,

Don't let this go to your head. I didn't like you the first time. We didn't get on very well. You broke so many pieces of me–my spirit, my heart, my wallet, my faith in post-secondary education. (Ball State was great, but the process is more bureaucratic than you realize. I was naive. I wanted us all there based on merit, on the desire to educate each other.)

I'm not coming back because I miss you. I'm not coming back because I like you in any way. I'm coming back because you happen to be near people I love & holding people I love. I'm coming back because I was told that Bloomington is nothing like the rest of you.

You're like the conservative, Republican grandpa with a large gun collection that just happens to think giving money to education is a good thing. You're a state with one, tiny "liberal" part of yourself, & that's the part I'm going to.

I'm trying to be patient with you, but you're so gray & flat that you're not giving me much to work with. You have to be patient with me too, though. I'm not good at forgiveness; I don't usually consider second chances necessary–just "moving on" & letting it unfold. So, I won't officially say it's a second chance. I'll say it's a fresh start, if we're looking for phrases that mark our experiences.

I'll say that I'm trying to forget what it was like to be there before & take in this next three years without strings of memories or biases attached. I'll even say that I'm excited–truly & childishly–to see how you've made this, a hippie college town, work out. So let's shake on it & agree not to look back for the sake of turning into very sad, disappointed salt. Let's go to Math Camp, ride our bikes around, spend afternoons in second-hand book stores, pick our favorite coffee shop & buy a puppy.

Love Soon,
Meg

P.S. That last bit was a test. We'll see if Joe lets us get a puppy. Yes, we have a rabbit, but that's not always a bad thing. (This just happens to be the kind of dog I want, too. Unfortunately, something tells me Baby wouldn't be so keen on giving up the role as dominant pet.)


Enjoy what you're reading? I'd love to know that we're on track. Click Follow on the right side of the screen to stick with us.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! Love it.

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger