day 21, to a wrong first impression

~ ~
Day 21. Someone you judged by their first impression

Sam,

We were getting ready for the immersive learning semester–we had agreed to help make a documentary instead of going to classes, because you would do that unless you are stupid because most classes are stupid and documentary films, even when about teenagers playing volleyball, are not stupid. Our professor had sent out biographic notes about about each of us.
Hi, I'm Megan! I have no film experience, but I'm really organized! I like to do interviews, and I'll spend the rest of the semester freaking out that we're not staying on task. I like scrapbooking & baking. Nice to meet you!
 I assume I said something like this–or should have if I were being honest. I assume you had plenty of ground to judge me on. I didn't have plenty of ground. I saw your picture–a gorgeous blond in aviator glasses–and say your past hobby. Cheerleading.

Judged.

It only took halfway through our first day together for me to realize that it was hilarious & wonderful that you had been a cheerleader. It fit into the dry, sarcastic humor you used in the classroom & into the eclectic friend I came to love over the course of the film-making-tear-your-hear-out semester.

When you got on stage at the gala & told the story about your grandmother, I found it hilarious. "See?" I said to my family. "She's great. She's just great."

You kept being great, & you've become one of the truest, most understanding friends. I think this is because our hearts work the same way, need the same things, breathe & break the same way. It'll be great to be in the same state as you again, sharing the occasional cup of tea & afternoon in a thrift store.

Love,
Meg


Enjoy what you're reading? I'd love to know that we're on track. Click Follow on the right side of the screen to stick with us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger