day 9, someone you wish you could meet

~ ~
Day 9. Someone you wish you could meet

Mr. Pollan,

I read my first book by you when I was a sophomore in college, only three years ago. I haven't stopped reading them, stopped passing them on to my friends and family, or stopped feeling like you beat me to writing the books I'd always wanted to write.

I haven't stopped being inspired by you either. Since I started reading–while researching a paper that ended up changing my life & e-mailing you everyday, naively thinking I could get an interview with you–your web site has gotten a lot better. You've had more appearances. You've given great TED speeches (like the one I showed in this blog post). You've sold millions of books.

I wanted to apply to Berkeley because you're there. I wanted everyone to read your book, to understand the thoughts that had been running through my head that you had made so easy for people to understand.

Like the wine that surrounds me in this country, my excitement for your work has mellowed and matured, come into itself. I would love to meet you, to thank you for what you've done–for me, for the millions of people that have read your books, for farmers in communities where people are starting to seek local produce again. I want to ask you what the next step is.

Where do we go from here? What do we do after we read, before we can afford to buy a house and have a garden? What do we do when we know better, but we can't yet afford to do better? How do we break the idea that this is a yuppy trend–to eat local food and care about the ground that held it? How do we stop making rules and start making sense?

Thanks for writing,
Megan

Enjoy what you're reading? I'd love to know that we're on track. Click Follow on the right side of the screen to stick with us.

4 comments:

Tyler Gobble said...

GREAT POST

I've only read Omnivore's, but man oh man, that book rules. Stellar writing too.

I think you bring up some good questions. Currently, because of Muncie's lack of certain attainable local and organic foods, I opt for the healthiest. One day, with a garden and a better town (I'm leaning towards Bloomington), I'll be able to combine the two.

Cost is a big thing too.

How's the food in France, as far as these issues are concerned?

meganveit said...

It's much easier to find fresh produce here, and most of it comes from France. They get fruit from Africa and Spain–fruits that are growing in their natural climate, not hot houses. France is truly the "bread basket" of the world–grow LOADS of different vegetables.

I also started eating meat here, which is a post I should right. They always tell you where it's from, if it was free-range or in a cage, and it's always French. Much safer, much more sustainable.

I hope our food budget will allow us to enjoy Bloomington's coops & natural food stores, since it looks like that's where we'll be next year. Maybe we'll see you there!

(Longest comment ever. On my own blog. Sad.)

Tyler Gobble said...

Sweet. That sounds amazing. Definitely cool.

REALLY? That's super neat. I didn't realize you guys were coming back that soon. What's the plan for there?

meganveit said...

Delayed response: I'll being going to IU's grad program for public affairs. We were considering a second year if grad school didn't pan out, but it did so I have to steal that chance while I can!

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger