S-A-T.U.R-D.A.Y

~ ~
Wow. I feel like a waste of time today. I'm okay with that. It's almost 8 p.m, and Joe & I have just gotten up from an afternoon nap. I need to be cleaning the apartment.

The wine with lunch was not a good idea, especially not after the later-than-usual night I had. My head is killing me.

Yesterday afternoon, I went over to a friends for an afternoon of baking and an evening of watching a Korean drama called Coffee Prince. It's adorable. You can find the whole thing subtitled online. I recommend it.

We had a great time chatting & watching the adorable couples, but we also finally got around to making chocolate babka. I found the recipe for the Jewish sweet bread, filled with chocolate & cinnamon, on Smitten Kitchen at the beginning of the year. The ingredient list is intimidating, so I wanted to wait until we had the time to make it together (and the cash for 2.25 pounds of chocolate, six sticks of butter and two bags of flour). It's one of the best recipes I've ever used, with everything working out perfectly. I've had lots of luck with Smitten Kitchen, & I promise you would too.

We ate the babka for dessert. We ate it for breakfast. We still have 3.5 loaves. ITS SO MUCH CHOCOLATE BREAD. I'm not really complaining.

I'm trying to start eating less desserts. This year, I've used the "We only like [in France] once, so enjoy it while you can" philosophy. My clothes still fit, so apparently it worked okay. I have noticed, though, that I'm more dependent on sugar-based energy & my overall energy levels have dropped.

After a night with Lauren, I came home to get ready for an end of the year "spectacle" at the elementary school where Joe works Monday-Thursday. He was leading them in some English singing, which was by far the most adorable thing I've seen this year.

Some of the songs played during the other classes' skits where, well, less adorable–ranging from the Beastie Boys & Rage against the Machine to some songs with language I'm not even comfortable typing out. I guess what they don't understand can't hurt them?

From his Friday school, Joe got a year-end thank you gift that I am helping him enjoy: a box of Nancy macarons. Ingredients: egg whites, sugar, almond powder. If you haven't guessed, macarons are by far my favorite French recipe, & they have a unique history here in Nancy.

The recipe for their crispy, delicate outer shell (where crushed almonds replace flour) originated here. The "Trois Soeurs" created the cookie to fit the diet they followed at the convent. A small Nancy-focused shop called Trois Soeurs has kept the tradition alive, making the original macaron cookie without sandwiching them.

In other news, Joe & I watched It Might Get Loud, a music documentary with Jack White, the Edge and Jimmy Page. I recommend it (after you watch Coffee Prince). After watching Jimmy Page playing the mandolin in his backyard, I've been searching for a cheap mandolin to learn on. I've spent this whole year feeling like I need some music in my life. I mean, I'd even a ukulele (since there are loads of options for about $40!!), though Joe says I'd only be able to play Hawaiian-sounding music and would quickly drive myself crazy.

I think the tiny-guitar route would drive both of us less crazy than the original plan, which was to have Joe start teaching me the guitar. Confession: I know this is shocking, but I'm not a patient person. I'm not good at NOT being good at something, and I'm not good at asking for help. Something tells me this combination of personality traits & having Joe as my would not be good for our marriage...

Enjoy what you're reading? I'd love to know that we're on track. Click Follow on the right side of the screen to stick with us.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I hear "Coffee Prince" was really popular in Korea, but I've never seen it. I do think the male lead is rather hot. :)

meganveit said...

Heidi, it's wonderful! I love it... there are so many loveable characters! It's my first drama, and I'm really enjoying it.

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger