la musique et la souvenir

~ ~



Our love is like a ship on the ocean...
we've been sailing with a cargo full of love & devotion



(That goodness for the clap track at the end or I wouldn't have known what to do with myself.)

I'm supposed to be grading tests. Instead, I'm listening to this song in a loop. It has become the soundtrack of my family memories.

My family has a putt-putt tradition. It always happens on family vacation or any time we find ourselves in a new city. It usually includes ice cream or a picnic (and on my part superfluous amounts of profanity and sweating).

This summer, shortly before leaving for France, we crammed all three of these traditions together with a bonus tradition: a walk along Clifton Gorge. After our walk, we went to Young's Dairy Farm (CLICK this... it's outstanding) for putt-putt... and for the first time in my life I came in well above last place. We celebrated with  ice cream.

The snapshots from that day that play through my head are perfect–the weather, the laughing, Joe's concentration face when he plays a sport. The small goat photo essay that came out of it was nice, too. But what stands out to me most is sitting in the backseat, pressed next to my sister who was pressed next to Joe. We were sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion, singing words we weren't always sure of and dancing like Brittany Murphy in Clueless.

Joe and I are starting to create our own family traditions–grocery shopping together & trying new pastries after church on Sunday. Our days have settled into routines, predicting each other's schedules & looking forward to the parts that fit together.

Joe's soup turned out great last night. While I taught, he ran the show back home, & it was a big hit with me & Lauren. Can't wait to have it be even thicker, heartier and spicier when we reheat it for lunch today. I'm surprising Joe with lunch when he gets home: the soup & a peanut butter and jelly sandwich thanks to the care package we got in the mail yesterday. (Beef jerky for Joe and all natural peanut butter for me.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger