a rough patch

~ ~
I am ata computer with a timer counting away the last of our euros, so I will make this quick. I wanted to post a quick update on our situation before people start to worry...

We're well settled into our apartment and absolutely loving it. Our landlord, I'm sure, is not. We still have no bank cards, and since France relies on Internet banking this means we have been unable to pay our deposit OR our rent. I get so worried she'll suddenly stop liking us, because I've already decided I love her and really want to visit her in Luxembour. (This is NOT creapy! I as invited, thank you.)

So. This also means we can't get the Internet. Or a cell phone. Or pay for electricity. I wake every morning fearing that the lights won't turn on, but everyone here seems to be oddly understanding.

As for my work, I get started on Monday. I have had training for one class of six or seven. I found out today that the course was cancelled. Back to square one. Tommorow, there are meetings after meetings to try to get things in order. I need to get my French hat on tighter. That will start tonight.

We're making dinner for a friend, the girl from my university who is the second me in Nancy (or perhaps I am the second her, or perhaps we are one in the same). We'll calm down, like Joe and I do every night, watch an episode of Arrested Development and have our second five-hour dinner.

Joe and I are making time to cook dinner and eat in the French style--later, more slowly and with more wine and bread, eating in courses. Last week, Lauren treated us to such a dinner (for her birthday, no less). Now it is our turn, and we'll be bouncing back and forth each week. So we're focusing on these things for now, the beautiful moments of our first year of marriage, and ignoring the less beautiful details--like our umbrella that broke in the middle of the near-daily afternoon shower and we are already cold and we just want some peanut butter.

4 comments:

Ashley C. Ford said...

Keep your would be French heads up (if you can find Joe's head)!

meganveit said...

we have new Where Is Joe's Head pictures! Oooh, we need to post those...

Heidi said...

We are all thinking of you here. Sarah and I were talking today about how we feel like something big is missing now that Joe is gone, and I am sure your people feel that way about you as well, Megan. I'm sure everything will be okay. Getting settled in a foreign country is hard (don't I know!), but you'll make it! And how could your landlady hate you two? How could anyone hate such a cute couple? :)

meganveit said...

thanks for the support, heidi! we miss you guys too.

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger