35: dish soap

~ ~

Blogkeeping note: (I'm better at housekeeping.) I like the countdown as my titles, but we're getting really close to the wedding and into more material that can be helpful to look back on. I'm going to go back in and add some text to some titles, to be a bit more helpful. Resume blogging.

As I mentioned yesterday, I am not interested in having a ton of chemicals in my life. When looking for homemade window cleaner, I was frustrated that so many of them threw dish soap into the mix without considering the chemicals in the cleaner.
(Okay, most things call for liquid, but these bars look awesome!)
I decided to go on a search for a solid homemade dish soap. The main component I found in each of the recipes was Castile soap. With a bit of research (cheater), I found that it's a soap made of olive oil from the Castile region of Spain. It's all natural–leaves and fruit (olives)–and not too expensive. You can find a Castile soap to match your budget, from peppermint (average $3 for 16 ounces) to hemp seed oil ($15 for less ounces). You can find it online or in a lot of health food stores.

I found a blog called Tiny Choices, which is pretty cool. (We're a lot alike... surprise, surprise.) And they hosted this recipe from thrifty fun:

2 bars shredded Castile soap 
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup washing soda
1/4 cup lemon juice

Melt the soap in 5 quarts of water on the stove. Removed from heat and add other ingredients, stirring. Cool and put into containers. Warning: not as sudsy as Dawn or Joy :)

You could cut this in half, if you don't feel like having 5 quarts of dish soap, or you could try it this way:
1/4 c water
1 cup liquid Castile soap
a drop of essential oil (take your pick) for a nice scent

I think I'll opt for the second one, because it's a lot less work and because I got a great little oil bottle at my bridal shower, which would hold it perfectly, as seen here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - francofile
IniMinimalisKah is proudly powered by Blogger